Wright Family

"Rendezvous In Old Nauvoo..."

Thomas had a Fall break from school so we decided to head to Nauvoo for a few days. After getting lost only a few times... We finally rolled into the little town of Nauvoo after the sun had gone down. We headed down the main drag straight for the temple. What a magnificent sight in such a small town! It was a bummer that it was closed for cleaning the week we chose to go, but what a blessing it was to marvel at its beauty and spirit that radiated from its walls.
While in Nauvoo, we wanted a real cabin experience so we stayed in one of the Old Nauvoo Cabins. This particular cabin was owned by the Ferrin's. They were a pioneer family with 5 children in this tiny, yet charming cabin. Although we were fortunate enough to enjoy modern day comforts during our stay in the cabin (I have to say I don't think it would have been as charming to use a bucket as a toilet and rough it without running water and a toasty heater....) we definitely grew to respect the many pioneer families that made so many sacrifices.
What a beautiful time of year! We loved this tree and just had to snap a picture of it's brilliant color. As we walked down the "Trail of Hope" with its many markers from journals of the Saints and the bitter wind and chill blowing right through our bones, we were filled with a better understanding of how cold it must have been those first weeks of February when the Saints left Nauvoo and traveled across the frozen Mississippi... I don't think I could have done such a difficult thing!
Thomas was taking a picture of Hudson and I when we heard a voice coming from the bushes say, "Woood ya like me ta take a pictah of ya???" (imagine that in a thick English accent) ... Not every day that you hear a talking bush---let alone in a British accent... We had a good laugh together:) So our newly-made friend from England that was grooming the temple grounds and nearly startled us to death took this fine picture
We picked a bitter cold week to visit Nauvoo--great for crowd control, but rough on our frozen little bodies! Hudson pretty much lived in this cocoon to keep warm as we went from site to site down the streets of Old Nauvoo. We now understand that we are in for the coldest winter of our lives!!!
We just had to take a picture by the guns good ol' William Clayton shot in his day which were made by Jonathan Browning, who was a terrific gunsmith during the pioneer times.
This solemn room, where both Joseph and Hyrum Smith were martyred, had a very tender spirit present while we visited. Our hearts were very full and our testimonies were strengthened from this very touching experience. 
PRAISE TO THE MAN WHO COMMUNED WITH JEHOVAH! HONORED AND BLESSED BE HIS EVER GREAT NAME!!!!

2 comments:

  1. I Love your blog Sydney! I love the witty way you write. Keep the posts coming.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You don't even know how excited I am that you have a blog so I can keep up with your life! Hudson is seriously so darn cute. Love those big gorgeous eyes! ...We were in the Nauvoo Stake for two years, it really is awesome there! You need to go inside the Temple next time, it is amazing! So gorgeous inside.

    ReplyDelete